I contributed writing to Adjunct Riot, a compilation of accounts of life as an adjunct professor created by Amy Fleming. Adjunct Riot addresses the corrupt labor practices in higher education, and its effect on the majority of faculty and their students. Compiled at Porch Possum Press, printed by Drum Machine Editions.
Hello everyone! Thank you for keeping up with my site so far. I’ve branched off to have a platform on Patreon where I can connect with fans of my work and share the nitty gritty of my studio practice. Whether you’re a new subscriber, or you’ve been following me for years…please go to my Lashon Fouché Art page and become a patron for as little as $3 a month.
My paper cut nudes are represented by Woman Made Gallery for the (SOFA) Sculptural Objects Functional Art and Design Fair at Navy Pier on view from October 31st through November 3rd. This is a special exhibition of selected member artists.
My paper cut nude figures are featured in the Refreshing Feminism group exhibition at Woman Made Gallery in Chicago, Illinois! The opening reception is Friday, 2/22 from 6pm until 8pm. I am one of 39 artists and I’m excited to see how the other artworks collaborate in conversation with my piece. I hope to see you all there.
Here are my notes from attending a talk by art critic Jerry Saltz during the painting and mixed media residency at SVA in New York this summer. This advice closely relates to artists!
- Keep it simple stupid or K.I.S.S.
- Make an enemy of Cynicism (I know why…)
- Eyes are looking out not in
- Make an enemy of envy (among your peers)
- Work, work, work, work, work
- We don’t have certainty, we have paradox in the art world
- Stay up late with other vampires and protect each other (yes he actually said vampires)
- Stop feeling sorry for yourself
- Instragram is a “rebus”/ language in pictures
- Pay attention to obsessions. There’s something inside of it
- How big of a audience do you need and/or want?
- All you need are 4 collectors, 1 dealer, 2 critics, and 1 curator to be a success
- Commune with the ancestors!
- Every decision you make is absolutely right
- Artists are modern shaman
- Artists are useless but we need you
- Artists perform weird magic for cultures
- We all have different Hamlet’s, we all are different villages
- Disrupt icons with content
- We live in a political age
- Are your dreams giving you your entire career?
- Use the value of art
- Tell a story in your writing
My journey to New Orleans for the Black Arts Movement Conference led to another exciting opportunity. I am pleased to announce that my artwork and thesis for Black-\Blák\, will be published in the upcoming Spring 2017 issue of Kalfou: A Journal of Comparative and Relational Ethnic Studies.
Kalfou is is an academic journal published by the Center for Black Studies Research at the University of California in Santa Barbara. My writing will be in the featured section, “Art and Social Social Action.” There will be a few photos of artworks to accompany the written essay.
Thank you to those who supported my New Orleans conference trip; I could not be accepting this invitation to Kalfou if I had not attended the BAM conference. I look forward to the next publication and I hope you grab a copy.