My paper cut nude figures are featured in the Refreshing Feminism group exhibition at Woman Made Gallery in Chicago, Illinois! The opening reception is Friday, 2/22 from 6pm until 8pm. I am one of 39 artists and I’m excited to see how the other artworks collaborate in conversation with my piece. I hope to see you all there.
Here are my notes from attending a talk by art critic Jerry Saltz during the painting and mixed media residency at SVA in New York this summer. This advice closely relates to artists!
- Keep it simple stupid or K.I.S.S.
- Make an enemy of Cynicism (I know why…)
- Eyes are looking out not in
- Make an enemy of envy (among your peers)
- Work, work, work, work, work
- We don’t have certainty, we have paradox in the art world
- Stay up late with other vampires and protect each other (yes he actually said vampires)
- Stop feeling sorry for yourself
- Instragram is a “rebus”/ language in pictures
- Pay attention to obsessions. There’s something inside of it
- How big of a audience do you need and/or want?
- All you need are 4 collectors, 1 dealer, 2 critics, and 1 curator to be a success
- Commune with the ancestors!
- Every decision you make is absolutely right
- Artists are modern shaman
- Artists are useless but we need you
- Artists perform weird magic for cultures
- We all have different Hamlet’s, we all are different villages
- Disrupt icons with content
- We live in a political age
- Are your dreams giving you your entire career?
- Use the value of art
- Tell a story in your writing
My online store has launched! Find my original artwork at squareup.com/market/lashon-fouche…but wait..there’s more!
Use promo code FRSTBUY and get 15% off your first purchase of Lashon Fouche’ Art.